Healthy living

Asbestos – contact details

Extensive use of asbestos in Western Australia up until 1987, especially in building products, has resulted in widespread presence of asbestos materials in the community.

The public can come in contact with asbestos:

  • at home
  • in public places
  • in the workplace.

Since exposure is potentially harmful there are a range of regulations governing contact with asbestos and its removal.

Asbestos regulators

Department of Water and Environmental Regulation

Regulates and provides advice on the safe transport and disposal of asbestos materials.

Visit the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation website (external site).

Department of Health – Environmental Health

The Department of Health (DoH) regulates and provides advice on the safe handling of asbestos materials, especially in the:

  • public sector
  • residential sector.

Guidance is also provided on the management of asbestos contaminated soil.

Phone: 9222 2000

Local government

WALGA - WA Online Local Government Directory | WALGA (external site) enforces the Department of Health asbestos regulatory requirements through their environmental health officers (EHOs). They also provide advice on local asbestos issues.

Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety – WorkSafe


  • regulates and audits all aspects of asbestos in workplace
  • licenses asbestos removalists
  • conducts periodic audits of licensed persons.

Phone: 1300 307 877

Visit the WorkSafe website (external site).

Department of Education

The Department of Education (DoE) manages:

  • asbestos issues in school buildings
  • facilities under the control of the Department.

Phone: 9264 4111

Housing Authority

Manages asbestos issues associated with its properties.

Phone: 1300 137 677 (maintenance issues)

Department of Finance – Building Management and Works

Building Management and Works (external site) leads the planning and delivery of new government buildings, such as:

  • schools
  • colleges
  • hospitals
  • prisons
  • courts
  • police stations.

They also provide:

  • planning and procurement support for the building maintenance, including the management of asbestos
  • arrange government office accommodation.

Phone: 6551 1000

More information

Asbestos Diseases Society of Australia (ADS) (external site)
Phone: 1800 646 690 (National Toll Free) or 9344 4077

Australian Asbestos Network (external site)
Phone: 9360 6202

The Cancer Council (external site) helpline provides information and support for people affected by cancer, health professionals and the community.

Phone: 13 11 20 for the cost of a local call.


Environmental Health

This publication is provided for education and information purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional advice. Information about a service, product or treatment does not imply endorsement and is not intended to replace professional advice. Readers should note that over time currency and completeness of the information may change. All users should seek advice from a qualified professional for answers to their questions.

Questions? Ask your local government environmental health services