Freedom of Information

What is Freedom of Information (FOI)?

The Freedom of Information (FOI) Act 1992 (PDF 355KB) gives you the right to apply for access to documents held by Child and Adolescent Health Service (CAHS). Your right to apply is not affected by why you want to obtain access or our belief as to what your reasons are for applying.

How to request information

In accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 1992, applications must:
  • be in writing (email and facsimile are acceptable)
  • give enough information to enable the requested documents to be identified (e.g. full patient name including previous names if applicable and date of birth; date of attendance and service unit)
  • give an address in Australia where notices under this Act can be sent
  • be lodged at an office of the agency with any application fee payable under the regulations.

Lodging your application

CAHS requires your application to:
and provided to:
  • or Release of Information, Child and Adolescent Health Service, Perth Children’s Hospital, Locked Bag 2010, Nedlands WA 6909
  • identify which agency you are seeking information from: Perth Children’s Hospital (PCH), Community Health or Mental Health 
  • identify if the information you seek is personal or non personal
  • provide details of what the request if about, the specific documents being requested and the time frame of the documents.
The FOI application form is available online at CAHS. Alternatively, a printed version of the form may be emailed/mailed to you upon request. Please contact the FOI Office on (08) 6456 4354 or email at

Frequently asked questions

How can I request information for someone else?

In addition to providing a valid application, additional consent and/or supporting documentation is required when requesting information on behalf of others, or about others.
  • If you are requesting information on behalf of someone else, you must provide documentation which clearly shows that you are entitled to the information eg. written consent, court orders, birth certificate, marriage certificate, death certificate.
  • If you are applying for information about someone who has died, you must provide your identification, and supporting documentation that clearly shows you are the closest relative to that person e.g. birth certificate, marriage certificate or death certificate.
  • If you are not the closest relative, you must provide written authorisation from the closest relative permitting you to access the information.

What information can’t be released?

Some documents fall under exemptions and cannot be released, e.g. if they compromise someone else’s privacy or commercial or business affairs. Access may be provided to an edited copy of the document if it contains information considered to be exempt.

How much does it cost?

There are no fees or charges if the application is for your own personal information.

Applications for other documents (i.e. which are non-personal in nature) will incur a $30.00 application fee to be paid when the application is lodged.

Additional charges for dealing with the request (e.g. photocopying costs, staff time etc.) may apply as per the Freedom of Information Act 1992. You will be notified of these charges upon receipt of your application.

When will I get a decision?

Upon receipt of a valid application the agency has a maximum of 45 calendar days to make a decision regarding access. The notice of decision will include details such as:
  • the date when the decision was made
  • the name and the title of the person who made the decision
  • the reasons for claiming the document is exempt if access is refused
  • information on the rights of review and the procedures to be followed to exercise those rights.

What happens when access is granted?

The FOI office will forward your documents to you at the Australian address provided. Alternatively you are able to collect copies of the documents from our Freedom of Information Office based at Perth Children’s Hospital (PCH).

How do I amend my personal information?

If you believe your personal information held by CAHS is inaccurate, incomplete, out-of-date or misleading, you may apply to have that information amended.
Your request must be in writing, and must provide as much information and supporting information as possible to demonstrate how or why the records are considered to be inaccurate, incomplete, out-of-date or misleading. The onus to prove this lies with the applicant, not CAHS.

If your request for amendment is refused you will be informed of the reasons for the decision and also the process to request an internal review.

Can I apply from overseas?

The Freedom of Information Act 1992 does not apply to requests received from outside Australia.

Contact us

Phone: 6456 4354