Healthy living

Children vaccinated overseas

Adding your child’s overseas vaccinations to the Australian Immunisation Register

If you move to Australia from overseas you need to make sure your child's previous vaccinations are recorded on the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR).

When you arrive in Australia, take all documents about your child's overseas vaccinations to an immunisation provider, such as a doctor. These documents should show:

  • your child’s full name and date of birth
  • name(s) of vaccines
  • date of when each vaccine was given
  • evidence that each vaccine was given (e.g. a stamp or nurse signature).

Wherever possible, use official documents that are translated to English. This will make the process much quicker for you and your child.

Immunisation providers will:

  • check that the vaccines your child already had matches the National Immunisation Program Schedule (external site)
  • help your child to catch up on any missing routine vaccines (these vaccines are free for people up to 20 years of age)
  • create an AIR record for your child, if needed
  • add your child’s overseas vaccinations to their AIR record.

To find a local immunisation provider, visit Where can I get immunised? or healthdirect (external site).

If your child’s overseas vaccination records are not in English, they will need to be translated. You can:

  1. Check your eligibility and apply for the Australian government’s Free Translating Service (external site).
  2. If you are not eligible for the Free Translating Service, ask your immunisation provider for help. The provider will arrange with the local WA Health Public Health Unit for document translation.

Enrolling in child care or school

See Starting or moving schools – immunisation records.

  • To enrol in child care centres and schools, you will need to provide an AIR record and your child will need to meet enrolment requirements.
  • Only fully-immunised children with an up-to-date AIR record are eligible for family assistance payments. Speak to your immunisation provider for more information.


  • If you are moving to Australia, bring your child’s vaccination records with you.
  • Ask your immunisation provider to create an Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) record and add the details of your child’s previous immunisations to the AIR.
  • An AIR record cannot be created until your child arrives in Australia.

More information

Visit the Services Australia (external site) or phone the AIR on 1800 653 809.

Last reviewed: 07-08-2023

Public Health

This publication is provided for education and information purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical care. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not imply endorsement and is not intended to replace advice from your healthcare professional. Readers should note that over time currency and completeness of the information may change. All users should seek advice from a qualified healthcare professional for a diagnosis and answers to their medical questions.

Meningococcal vaccine for 1 to 4 year olds